“Writing is thought.” Have you ever heard that before? Well, you might have. Our writing reflects who we are, our thoughts, emotions and ideas. The true mark of a great writer is how he or she invokes your emotions just by mere words, how he or she makes you think what he wants you to think and how you start feeling and thinking the same way as your characters. Basically how he puts his thoughts on paper precisely enough to invoke a better reaction or emotion in you.
Writing has been one of the prime things that our evolution has provided us. It’s a means of communication. How you transfer an idea from one place to another, writing is about that. Blogs are one such media where somebody with an idea can share that idea with millions of people in an instant, depending on his or her credibility and popularity among the masses. Blogs have emerged as one of the best ways you can help change the world. Turns out “Pen (or keyboard in this case) is actually mightier than the sword.”
Recently, there has been a lot of popular blogs that have emerged on the internet scene (like ours), but not everyone knows how to properly crystallize the knowledge and present it in a structured form, free from any sorts of mistakes and errors. Many people (like me) earn from such blogs by writing and presenting our ideas on them. But not everyone is a good writer. I mean they may be great in their knowledge and expression but sometimes writing needs much more than that and that’s organization and correction. How many times do you come across writings that are innately incorrect with the incorrect formation of words, improper use of punctuations and just laden with mistakes from top to toe? And surely reading such writings often create an eerie feeling around me. You need to be grammatically correct whenever you’re writing.
Don’t know how to write properly?
Well, worry not. I’ve got a solution for you. No, you need not read your 8th standard grammar books or enrol into a grammar course. The solution is a simple app known as, “Grammarly.” If you haven’t heard about Grammarly, you must have been living in an exile till now. Grammarly is a simple to use, free and amazingly fast grammar application that helps you correct your grammar on the go. Worrying about tenses or spelling mistakes? Don’t stress. Grammarly has got you covered. It is a one-stop solution for correction in your language and writing. If used frequently, you might as well start to learn from Grammarly and improve your spoken English skills as well. The app works well and easily. You just have to write your content and leave the rest for Grammarly. You just need a working internet connection for Grammarly to show its magic. The app will give you suggestions and reasons for that suggestion and you can choose whether to implement them or not. The app also provides you synonyms for places where it becomes repetitive.
I personally don’t know any writer who doesn’t use Grammarly. It’s fast, free and simple. You can find it across all platforms. Android, iOS, PC, you name it. Grammarly has got it covered for you. The app is so popular that it has over a million downloads just on Android’s play store, let alone other stores. Still, feel that it’s not gonna help you? Well, try it once and you’ll get to know how effective it is.
Even after being across all platforms and being great in its working, there are still a few people that might not like the app. It may be because of its design, or working or anything. Don’t worry. I’m not judging you. But for you, I’ve got something.
Best Grammarly Alternatives in 2020
#1 Ginger Software
Ginger is a simple, elegant and beautiful to use keyboard app that is highly customisable, easy to use and a lot of fun. It is colourful, vivid and gives a ton of options to customise your keyboard according to your needs. But that’s not just about it. Along with those features, it has a built-in grammar editor and spells checker that checks for a grammatical error in a jiffy.
The tool provides for Thesaurus as well as provides for translating words into various other languages of the world. The keyboard comes in two variants: a free and a premium version. You can opt for a free version if you want to, but I’d suggest you go for the premium one to explore the app’s full capabilities. Below are some of the features of Ginger sofwtare-
- It helps you to write unique text and enrich the text with the help of the Sentence Rephraser tool.
- Emoji for expressing yourself, word prediction for the essence of speed while you are typing, and customizable themes for your keyboard.
- Dictionary for never losing a word, Translator so you never get halted, and a Personal trainer to improve your English skills.
- Available for all types of browsers like Windows, Chrome, Safari, iOS, Mac, and Android keyboard as well.
- Grammar rules to ensure if your writing is accurate and proofreading for checking mistakes with a single tap.
- Monthly: $20.97 per month
- Annual: $7.49 per month
- Two Years: $6.66 per month
ProWritingAid perhaps the least heard of the app on the list, but still one of the best out there. When I didn’t know about Grammarly, this was the app I used to go for. It is a feature-rich application that has a great interface and goes head to head with Grammarly. The app provides a grammar editor and is highly affordable.
You can choose from a range of affordable variants according to your budget and needs. In addition to that, it provides you with analytics that is basically, statistics about your writing via reports. The app can be integrated into google docs and hence proves to be very beneficial.
It also offers a vocabulary tool that helps you find conjunctions and synonyms in the sentences for proper formations. One can also edit text while you copy it from any other source, as the case is with Grammarly. Here are the features of ProWritingAid-
- In-depth reports that include more than 20 different types of reports for analyzing your writing.
- Better integration with Microsoft suite, Google Chrome & Docs, Apache Open Office, Scrivener, etc.
- Contextual Thesaurus report for suggesting synonyms for each word in your text by allowing you to quickly explore different wordings.
- Word explorer for finding the right words from different dictionaries and detailed explanations for saving your time.
- Manuscript editing software for grammar checking helps in finding repeated words, context-sensitive style suggestions, and visualizing sentence lengths and variations.
- ProWritingAid Free: Free plan
- ProWritingAid Premium: $60 per year
- ProWritingAid Premium+: $70 per year
PaperRater next up on the list is PaperRater. The app is a great app with an awesome UI which is very user friendly. It is a great spellchecker, plagiarism checker and grammar editor and that’s not just all about it. The app is powered by cloud and hence helps in easy sync across various platforms.
Also, having a cloud option means that you can also save your data and settings on the cloud platform, and don’t worry about losing them. It has Artificial Intelligence integrated into it, an AI interface known as Grendel reviews your text, and can provide instant feedback which helps in easy detection of errors, gives smart suggestions, and can even look for duplicate content on the web. Following are the features of PaperRater-
- It is also powered by Artificial Intelligence and provides state of the art grammar checking for texts.
- Plagiarism detection with an originality score that shows the amount of text or percentage of your writing is original.
- Vocabulary builder provides different words, sentences, definitions, and examples while you are writing to improve your English skills.
- Automated scoring system for reflecting a rough idea of what you may score in your writing.
- Grammar & Spelling checker, Feedback & Writing instructions, Real-time & Real easy results with automated proof-reader.
PaperRater is a free tool to use and it also offers one Premium plan for the users seeking advanced features at $14.95 per month.
#4 Hemmingway App
Named after the famous writer, Hemmingway is a simple, fast, reliable and elegant text editing tool that provides basic proofreading functions like grammatical corrections and spell checking and is great for improving overall structure and readability of the content. The editor stands true to its name with its features that will make you feel no less than a great writer.
The app has a feature that lets you check and detect passive constructions of sentences and flags them accordingly as they weaken the prose. Hemmingway has a desktop application that can be used even when you don’t have good internet connectivity. The app is just great and also comes with a one-click integration for medium and WordPress. Following are the features of Hemmingway-
- Free to use
- Easy to use and edit editor
- Shows content detailsIt can be used remotely from anywhere without any Internet connection.
- Format your prose in just a click of a button, and Hemingway will manage it all.
- Publish your content directly to Medium or WordPress with one-click integration.
- Also, export your content to any external editors like Microsoft editor.
- Share your work with your colleagues with Hemingway’s highlights.Free to use
- Easy to use and edit editor
- Shows content details
Hemingway desktop editor is available for both Windows and Mac OS for a one-time payment of $19.99.
#5 Slick Write
The variety of features makes SlickWrite a close alternative to Grammarly. First of all, use their editor for writing or just paste the text. Now hit check from the sidebar. The tool will point out various elements from your paragraphs such as redundant sentences, passive voice, transition words, adverbs, and common starting words, etc.
The cool thing about SlickWrite is that it has multiple integration options. When you select a word, a popup appears at the bottom where you can choose to find associate words, and the thesaurus or the dictionary definition. Also, it includes Google and Wikipedia options to get more information.
Readability matters a lot because an article which is terrible to read is almost useless for the readers and/or information seekers. By using SlickWrite’s sentence structure feature, you can increase the readability of your article. It will show the complex and lengthy sentences. As a writer, you may not be aware about “Flow”. SlickWrite presents graphical details about word length, sentence length, and structural flow so that user can alter the flow rate easily.
You can configure SlickWrite within few moments, just go to its settings and check the boxes for what types of issues you want to find in your text. Among all the qualities, the best part of this web-based proofreading software is the statistics. It will present an in-depth aggregate analysis of your content as well as statistics of phrases and words. So far, you can enjoy their services free of cost because currently there is no premium version.
SlickWrite is a remarkable tool that includes numerous rules which you can enable or disable at your will. But this lacks inconvenience. Like in Grammarly they allow one-click correction where you just have to click on the suggestion for the correction. This means you can use Slick Write for only detecting errors. For a non-native English speaker, we suggest you try a tool that delivers ease of use for correction such as Grammarly. Here are the features of Slick Write-
- Lightning-fast grammar check to save as much time as possible.
- Customizable feedback to suit any style of your choice.
- Privacy and security of your documents with encryption of data.
- Make your presentations & reports easily and add impact to them.
- Engage your audience with high-quality content and improve your grades.
Slick Write is a free online proofreading software and comes with no pricing plans.
The writer is another top free grammar checker tool helping the organizations write quality content which makes the brand better. The best thing about the Writer is, you can make sure a similar tone and pattern in the entire organization. The AI-powered content writing solution makes the Writer the best Grammarly alternative. The writer is available for all the major writing platforms like Google Chrome where we majorly write emails or cloud-based CMS, Google Docs, and Microsoft Word. Here are some of the amazing features of the Writer-
- Business grammar checker tool
- Control where you want the suggestion to show
- create your own library and standard and impose in the entire organization
- Along with grammar it also looks for spelling and punctuation
- The writer also helps you with Tone, voice, and style
The Writer’s grammar checker basic tool is free and you can use. While the paid plan starts at $11 per month.
Conclusion- Which is the best Grammarly Alternative?
These were the top 5 Grammarly alternatives which you can use. Some of the best alternatives to Grammarly are paid while few are free which you can use. Let us know in comment, which one you’re using.